Thursday, November 20, 2008

Eight Great Guilty Pleasures.

As I look around my apartment I can't help but be amazed at the amount of "guilty pleasure" items that I have on my bookshelves, in my DVD player and on my television. Luckily no self respecting person with good taste has ever been in my apartment to bear witness to this smorgasbord of tackiness. Self respecting people with good taste aren't the type I would invite over anyway. They don't drink and they never leave when you want them too.

Here are some of my favorite awesome/embarrassing things I waste time with:

8. "The Dirt" by Motley Crue -An oral history of one of the most misogynistic, drug addled bands of the 1980's. The band sucks but this book does not. And I quote: "Open it anywhere and find a story to remember." -The New York Times I heard they were making a feature length film out of it. Let's hope Mick Mars doesn't play himself.

7. "Eric the Midget" -I recently became a Howard Stern listener and whenever I'm in my car and Eric calls in I have to stop what I'm doing and sit and listen until they hang up on him. If you're a fan you know what I mean.

6. "Full House" -It reruns four times a day on ABC Family. It's like a car accident, I can't help but take a look. Oh Uncle Jesse, why won't you be my husband?

5. "Showgirls" -I recently became the proud DVD owner of this 1995 piece of shit movie that stars Jesse from "Saved by the Bell" and her various body parts. All of the NC-17 stuff aside this movie is great to watch for two reasons: 1) The horrendous dialogue. 2) The horrific acting. If watching really bad movies makes you feel better about yourself (like me) "Showgirls" is the all time best. It's also great to watch with a group of friends so you can take turns making fun of it.

4. "Roadhouse" -The "Citzen Kane" of over the top action movies. Co-starring Patrick Swayze's mullett.

3. Wings Greatest Hits -Fall into an audio sugar coma with Paul McCartney's solo project. Just remember, he went from "Abbey Road" to "Silly Love Songs". Silly indeed Paul McCartney. Silly indeed.

2. "Paula Abdul's Get up and Dance" -I own it on VHS. Watch Paula sweat her little Lakers Girls off in neon spandex.


1.
"Little Girl Lost" by Drew Barrymore -Drew does a lot of drugs, dates Corey Haim and gets into many fights with her Mom. The end

2 comments:

Mike said...

I think you are way off on your critique of Showgirls. I think it was a tasteful and well done Film. Great cinematography. How can a movie about girls who get naked be bad?

Sassy Thoughts from a Small Town Tart said...

Roadhouse was just on the other night Mijo. Good oldfashioned trashiness. Gotta love it.