Monday, April 27, 2009

Eight things I'll remember about the legendary Bea Arthur

8. Shoulder Pads -Dorothy always rocked the linebacker look in her long, flowing pant suits. Made with 100% polyester but worn with 100% fierceness.

7. The voice -Childhood memories of her low resonant tones whining: "MAAAaaaaaaaa!!" and "Stan"!

6. Salt and pepper hair -This woman was so confident in her own skin she went naturally grey on TV. She sported the grey "wings" long before Paulie Walnuts on the Sopranos did.

5. Feminist -I didn't grow up watching "Maude" but I wish I did. With topics like abortion, divorce, racial equality, gender issues and liberalism this sounds like a show that was right up my alley as a nine year old.

4. The strangest people become gay icons and Bea Arthur was one of them. Maybe it all started with this video:

3. My sister, our Grandma J. and I used to watch the "Golden Girls" every weekend. We became such fans that instead of playing house the three of us would play "Golden Girls". I was Rose, my sister was Sophia and my Grandma J. was Dorothy.

2. Cheesecake -It solved all of the "Golden Girls" conundrums why not yours and mine?

1. R.I.P. Bea Arthur!!!!

3 comments:

Mike said...

Very kind words for Bea. I had no idea Maude was so ahead of its time.
On a somewhat unrelated topic, and not to sound too gushy, but I think you are an amazing writer! I truly look forward to reading anything new you have to say. Hmmm, that was gushy, sorry.

Adrianne said...

Thanks Mike! I appreciate your kind words and I don't think they're gushy at all. Mushy maybe but never gushy. ;-)

Big Dave said...

The Golden Girls are dripping like flies! Watch out Betty White...